With the holiday’s right around the corner, traffic is quickly picking up and winter weather is slowly moving in. Borchardt Law Firm asks all drivers to be extra cautious on the road during these hectic times. Studies have found December to be one of the deadliest months for drivers across the state of Texas. It is one of the biggest traveling months and is also prone to unpredictable weather, such as rain, sleet, snow and ice. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, in 2010 December had one of the highest reports of fatal state highway and city street accidents. Whether these accidents were a result from weather or distractions, drivers need to be aware of their surroundings and prepare for any situation. At Borchardt Law Firm, our law firm has come up with a few guidelines for drivers in hopes to help prevent accidents on the road.
Though Texas does not see snow that often, we get our fair share of rain, sleet and ice during the winter. If you must leave your house, be aware of these guidelines to help prevent you from getting into an accident.
• Before leaving your house, check your tire pressure and make sure your tires still contain enough tread to create traction on the road.
• Plan your route on main roads that have most likely already been driven on.
• Drive slowly; prepare to go under the speed limit. Give yourself at least double the amount of the time it normally takes you to get to your destination.
• You should allocate at least three times more space in between your car and the car in front of you.
• When preparing to stop gently pump your brakes, don’t slam on your breaks and hold them down – this could cause your vehicle to continuously slide.
• Keep your car in low gears to hold traction.
• Try to avoid all bridges and overpasses – they will most likely be the slickest.
• Keep your lights on, helping other cars see your vehicle.
• If you begin to hydroplane, grip your steering wheel to keep control and wait until you feel your tires contact the road.
• If storms become too severe, pull over but avoid parking under power lines, trees and other large objects that could fall on your car.
The best advice to take during winter storms is to avoid driving, however, we aren’t always able to do that. At Borchardt Law Firm we hope these guidelines will help keep drivers safe. Unfortunately, car accidents occur everyday across the state, at our law firm we strive to protect those who have been in an accident no matter what the cause of the accident was. Car accidents can be a confusing and difficult situation, especially when bad weather is involved. If you or someone you know has been in an accident and feel you should talk to a personal injury lawyer about any legal options you might have feel free to give us a call. We have seen and dealt with many car accident litigation’s and feel the work we do will continue to better protect future generations of Texans.
Toll Free: 866.832.9300
1300 South University Drive, Suite 500
Fort Worth, Texas 76107